Thursday, March 24, 2005

Things that keep the world in order

Inspired by the Flickr.com gig: What's in your bag?

· The tin case - (upper right), holds the paperworks, passbooks, passport, insurance, Inkan (Jap personal stamp) This case keep the things that attest to the truth of my existence, without em I walk among the dead...Nelshawn of the Dead.
· Pillbox - Because this mortal suit sometimes functions erratically out of sync.
· Cellphone – Because I didn’t come with a tracking device.
· Digital Camera – Because it can capture and explain a more realistic visual rendering of an event far better than my brain could.
· Ze iPod - Because music is a great company, now all of em can tag along.
· An Electronic organizer – Because it was advertised to put all of humanity's wants (not needs) in one nifty package...it has a camera(not that great), video camera(sucks), mp3 player(plays only with stoopid memory stick), Organizer (excellent!, but I found out that I actually have no use for it).
.100 yen multi-purpose tool - commonly referred to as "Swiss Knife". – Because I didn’t come with Wolverine’s adamantium claws…sigh.
. Inside the pouches – a 2.5 inch 6Gb Hard Drive – Because some of my computer junk wouldn’t fit on a USB Stick, A paperback and a PSP– Because idleness happens.

As I look into my bag I've come to admit to myself that yes, I've become a gullible consumer, I've bitten the fruit of materialism and taken its promises that I cant possibly live without these things...and in the course of all these conditioning, I really felt the coffee-like dependence. The bag carries the things that help me connect – to my social needs, to systems, to culture, to fashion and to all the needs that the great geek A. Maslow stated. My bag tells me who and what I am...not completely, but its in that ballpark. Geek!!

1 comment:

Marvin said...

I saw your comment on one of my posts (http://photomc.typepad.com) so I visited your blog. Interesting. Yes, I guess our blogs are sort of similar. Must be something about pinoys in general.