Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Measured by the Inch


I've heard that one can measure one's wealth based on the size of their TV screens. If that's the case, I want a flat panel then...not because Im profoundly drunk with consumerism but rather because of the plain fact that mainland Japan has turned digital and my TV is still very much analog... the devils, they gave me a reason.

In leau of my excitement to get one, I felt sick of this Plasma-LCD wars, much as I am really getting sick of all the proprietary differences of all other things: - Blue ray disc, HD DVD, mp3 - AAC, WMA,.. why cant they just use one freaking format?? dream on...for as long as man is incorporated, greed will be inevitable.

Having to consider if its; digital ready, High Vision , HDTV, TFT and all other acronyms that I dont really give a hoot, I've decided to stick with what I thought casted the best glow on the display booth. I bought a 32 incher AQUOS... I dreamt of a 45 " but since the $4k tag price is still absurd for me, and the shape of things to come are as mysterious as De Kooning's paintings, I decided to get one that would not defunct after a year or so...defunct, I like that word. (remember Sony Clies and Kyocera cameras - went funky dead = defunct). Add the fact that in case TV formats change again into something like digital 2.1 or whatever crap they'd come up with, I could use this one as my computer monitor..whooohooooo a 32 inch PC monitor!! Totally nerdy i like it. I bumped my TV from a 26 inch CRT to a 32 inch LCD, do I feel more successful? You bet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Instead of a plasma screen I got an LCD projection TV last year in May. Before that, I didn't have a TV for almost two years in New York. I don't watch that much TV. But then I was hoping to use it for movie nights with friends.

The LCD projection suffers from a narrow viewing angle but it isn't a problem with me and my small living room. It was about half the price of a comparable plasma monitor and I thought it had better quality than cheaper plasmas. That Aquos you got is one of the nicer ones. When I bought the TV, I was also playing Xbox games, and plasma monitors still had problems with pixels burning in at the time I think.

I would have liked a flat-panel LCD instead, but they're even more expensive than plasma flat-panels. Oh well.

Enjoy your new TV...

Vanishing Point said...

Thanks Marvin.
Its well worth the wait. So far I've managed to watch TV from the side with very little distortion in contrast. In Analog reception its just the same, but with High Vision its really awesome. The older models of LCD flats suffer gravely on the viewing angle especially Sony's Bravia, those models are going on sale now. All in all I'm really satisfied with this one.

donna_chocnut said...

i honestly know nothing about all this new TV technology but it sure sounds exciting. basta ba malinaw at may remote control, ayos na yon sakin! =) even better if you have friends, loved ones, coke/coffee, chichiria/chocolates around. am glad you're happy with your new TV. have fun! =)