Friday, March 16, 2007

On Taking Time

A watch is about: Quality, Elegance, Accuracy, Luxury, Extravagance, Craftsmanship, Respect, Taste, Character or show? A regular Jaeger will cost you $50k- that is about 2.5m Pesos, more than enough to send a kid to school from elementary to college. Extravagance in my point of view. In 1999 the most expensive watch ever sold, a 1933 gold Patek Phillipe with 24 complications, was auctioned off at Sotheby's for $11 million.

I am Nelson and I am a watchaholic. My watches are not as expensive as the Pateks and Piguets (funky names if you ask me). From my own economic perspective, (single-selfish-dont care and employed) my watches arent that much, but for some who arent crazy bout watches and those who are in a tighter budget, my watches are impractical and extravagant. Same shit, different scale. Fine, I agree that I am among them who tread the path of senseless extravagance, nothing to be proud of...but a teeny bit of something's gotta give.

More alibi. Most of the time, it pays to dress for success - one can expect to be treated as one looks. if you look cheap, you will be treated like one. Psychologically, it can be a confidence booster - not that i need it, but self improvement is always good, lest it harms others.

The right piece at the right time. I wear my accessories according to the occasion and location. I've never worn Cartier in Manila, everybody will think its a knock-off anyway. I do however wear the fakies in Japan where nobody cares because people can actually afford the real deal.

I can see my watch collection as a benchmark for my personal achievements, a tool to enrich my life and from time to time a means to validate my time-space existence.

Categorized by its function are my passion-driven-time-accessories:
Swatch Skin, Racing Numbers chrono - One can never have enough Swatches in their lifetime. This watch is for forgetting it was there.
Casio MTG700M - From hiking to fending Divisoria mobs on a xmas rush, this watch has never let me down.
Dunhill Dunhillion- for that job interview, you have to look like you are not really desperate about the job.
Early 90's TAG 2000 Series (now tagged as a classic 2000 - you just know you're getting old) - My first pricey watch. Although the bezel is loose, and the date has gone berserk, it still tells time accurately and goes with any style, also used for offending other officemates who sport Formulas.
Orient Automatic - Clad with a black dial and wrinkled black leather, for calmer days, Wednesdays and I don't care what you think, my watch tells time kind of days.
Timex Leather Expedition - TGIF, perfect watch as I eject from my cubicle to after-work gimiks.
Techno Marine Maori (funky and fake) - Am not that nuts to buy this model, just wanted to try it... cool enough but with the real one weighing like an anchor and with just a Swiss movement up its sleeve, I dont think its worthy of its price tag.
Must 21 Cartier - Funny, the only person who commented on it was an old lady boss, it tells time accurately, other than that its just a name.
Rolex GMTII (Greenhills special, I still dont know what's so great bout Rolex' , except for the GMTs - its darn ugly, again just for trying and seriously enough, am not convinced) I'd go with an Omega Moonwatch or Seamaster anytime.
Wired - Offering uniquely designed watches (online Japan only) Seiko's experimental venue for watch nerds offer these high quality timepieces. I have 2 of them, a squared digital that gets quite a lot compliments and a gigantic-sparkling blue chrono that makes my tiny hand even tinier. Except for the non-Saphire glass, the build and quality of the Wired XYZ models are great.

And this year's Christmas gift from girlfriend - A titanium, 5 motor, 5 band wave ceptor, solar powered, world-time, chrono, 10 alarm, auto adjust to 3 continents, perpetual calendar, GMT, self-correcting Casio Oceanus with a manual 20 pages long. And yes, I have a need for all those functions for my daily existence.

No comments: